Best Practices For Interviewing, Managing, And Providing Reasonable Accommodations For Employees with Disabilities
June 7, 2012 - 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., St. Mary’s Cathedral, 1111 Gough Street, San Francisco, CA 94109
The San Francisco Department of Public Health and Community Behavioral Health Services invite their managers and the City’s Human Resources Department to attend this training funded by the California Department of Rehabilitation and Department of Mental Health Co-operative Program. This free training is limited to managers and human resources professionals at these agencies. Jane Kow will present "Best Practices For Interviewing, Managing, And Providing Reasonable Accommodations For Employees with Disabilities."
The training will cover the following learning objectives:
- Learn how “disability” is defined under federal and CA state disability laws
- Examine court cases where employers’ fears and stereotypes about persons with mental disabilities and failure to provide reasonable accommodations have resulted in disability discrimination lawsuits
- Avoid asking illegal interview and workplace questions that may inadvertently invade employees’ rights to medical privacy and elicit prohibited genetic information
- Understand how psychosocial disabilities can impact employees’ performance and workplace interactions
- Consider a range of accommodations that can help reduce or eliminate some of these issues.
- Understand how to detangle misconduct, attendance or performance issues from disability related conditions and employee can be disciplined for these issues
- Through role playing exercises and coaching from the instructor learn how to navigate in the six steps of “interactive dialogue” with employees with psychosocial disabilities to determine accommodations that would enable the employee to perform all essential job functions
- Distinguish between essential and non-essential job functions when determining which form of accommodation would be appropriate and effective
- Learn about available free resources on job accommodations for a variety of disabilities
To download the flyer click here.
Register at: http://dph-extranet2.sfdph.org:7777/pls/vrds_htmldb/f?p=111:1:2472938315930402::NO::F111_HETC_PROGRAM_PK,F111_CART_NAME:2363,SC_OQM