The following are training programs and conferences that are designed specifically for Human Resources professionals, employment lawyers, workplace investigators, EEO and workplace diversity experts, labor relations managers, job developers and job coaches, workplace disability and leave of absence specialists. Please call our office at (415) 796-2785 or email us if you would like to attend these training programs or for more information about customized training programs developed for your workforce.Recent Training Programs, Workshops & Events Presented by Jane Kow
June 7, 2017
- “Managing Workplace Disability Accommodations, Leaves of Absences, and Misconduct Issues,” Annual TAPS Conference for Employers, San Jose, CA.
April 28, 2017
- “Beware the Riptides: Surfing the Dangerous Cross-Currents of Employment Law and California Workers Compensation,” Disability Management Employer Coalition (DMEC) Panel Presentation, Walnut Creek, CA.
March 8, 2017
- “Accommodating, Managing and Disciplining Employees with Disabilities,” 2017 HR West Conference, sponsored by Northern California Human Resources Association (NCHRA).
August 10, 2016
- Special guest on “Your Call” 91.7 FM KALW's a live public affairs radio show (NPR affiliate station) on “Sexual harassment and the Consequences of Inaction” in work and academic settings (KALW).
March 8, 2016
- “Avoiding Employment Law Pitfalls in the “Share,” “Gig” or “on Demand” Economy,” 2016 HR West Conference, Northern CA Human Resources Association (NCHRA), Oakland, CA.
October 29, 2015
- “The Do’s and Don’ts of Documenting Employee Performance and Misconduct Issues,” at the Northern California Human Resources Association (NCHRA) Small HR Summit, San Francisco Green Space, 657 Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA.
September 14, 2015
- “HR Templates: Documenting Employee Issues,” EEOC Annual TAPS Conference for Employers, San Jose, CA.
August 3, 2015
- “Managing and Disciplining Employees With Disabilities” at the 2015 Disability Management Employer Coalition (DMEC) Annual International Conference, San Francisco Marriott Marquis, San Francisco, CA.
July 18, 2015
- “Employment Solutions at Your Fingertips: Social Media and the Workplace” with Denise Eaton-May, Live Radio Broadcast on 1220 AM from The MONEYSHOW, Marriot Marquis, San Francisco, CA.
March 26, 2015
- “Managing Employees With Disabilities: Accommodating & Addressing Performance, Misconduct And Absenteeism Issues” at the ABD Insurance Seminar, Foster City, CA.
March 10, 2015
- “Legal Issues of Supervision” for University of San Francisco Supervisors and Managers.
March 3, 2015
- “Harassment & Social Media: The New Workplace Frontier” at the Northern California Human Resources Association (NCHRA) 2015 HR West Conference, Oakland Convention Center, Oakland, CA.
January 14, 2015
- Jane Kow testified on employer best practices on preventing workplace harassment (including harassment in social media, harassment against employees with disabilities, and effective workplace investigations), before the Commissioners at EEOC headquarters in Washington D.C. Click here for the EEOC press release about this important meeting. Click here for Jane Kow’s bio. Click here for Jane Kow’s written testimony submitted to the EEOC on this important topic. Click here to watch a video of the January 14, 2015 EEOC Meeting on Workplace Harassment.
October 30, 2014
- Best Practices for Documenting Employee Performance and Misconduct Issues; and
- A Step by Step Guide to Conducting Effective Workplace Investigations, at the Alameda County Training and Education Center, Oakland, CA.
October 16, 2014
- “Managing Employees With Disabilities: Providing Accommodations, While Addressing Performance, Misconduct And Absenteeism Issues” at the Alameda County 11th Annual Disability Employment Awareness and Conference & Training, Hilton Garden Inn – Bay Bridge, Emeryville, CA.
September 12, 2014
- “Harassment & Social Media: The New Workplace Frontier” at the EEOC Annual TAPS Conference for Employers, Dolce Hayes Conference Center, San Jose, CA.
August 12, 2014
- “Navigating The Interactive Process: Traps To Avoid And Best Practices Tips For Employers” at the 2014 Disability Management Employer Coalition (DMEC) Annual International Conference, Venetian Resort, Las Vegas, NV.
April 29, 2014
- “Stop The Abuse: Managing Employee Medical Leaves” at the Northern California Human Resources Association (NCHRA) 2014 HR West Conference, Oakland Convention Center, Oakland, CA.
April 16, 2014
- “Accommodating and Disciplining Employees With Medical Conditions” at the Silicon Valley Women in HR meeting held at National University - San Jose Center, San Jose, CA.
October 3, 2013
- Jane Kow of HR Law Consultants and Roberta Etcheverry of Diversified Management Group presented a two part program on “Workplace Disability Accommodations: Documenting The Interactive Process, Essential Job Functions And Disciplinary Issues” at the Alameda County Training and Education Center, Oakland, CA.
September 26, 2013
- “A Step By Step Guide To Preventing And Investigating Workplace Discrimination And Harassment Complaints” at the Alameda County Training and Education Center, Oakland, CA.
September 20, 2013
- “Managing Employee Disability Accommodations” at the Disability Management Employer Coalition (DMEC) San Jose Chapter Meeting, Biltmore Hotel, Santa Clara, CA.
August 19, 2013
- “Reasonable Workplace Accommodations: The Interactive Process In Six Easy Steps” at the 2013 Disability Management Employer Coalition (DMEC) Annual International Conference, Omni at CNN Center, Atlanta, GA.
June 21, 2013
- “Reasonable Accommodations: Documenting Essential Job Functions, The Interactive Process and Disciplinary Issues” at the EEOC Annual TAPS Conference for Employers, Dolce Hayes Conference Center, San Jose, CA.
May 10, 2013
- “Preventing Disability Discrimination: Providing Reasonable Accommodations For Lawyers With Disabilities” at the League of California Cities City Attorneys’ Spring Conference, The Meritage Hotel, Napa, CA.
May 8, 2013
- “Employee Disability Accommodations And Medical Leaves” at CompassPoint’s HR Network Meeting, Oakland, CA.
April 22, 2013
- “Reasonable Accommodations: 6 Steps of Interactive Process” at the Northern California Human Resources Association (NCHRA) 2013 HR West Conference, Oakland Convention Center, Oakland, CA.
November 2, 2012
- “Investigating Disability Discrimination & Failure to Accommodate Complaints" at the 2012 Association of Workplace Investigators (AWI) Annual Conference, Marriott City Center Hotel, Oakland, CA.
November 7, 2012
- “Managing Employee Medical Leaves” at the Disability Management Employer Coalition (DMEC) Sacramento Chapter Meeting on "Improving Return to Work Outcomes Through Effective Disability Management Integration and Accommodations," Sutter Health Center for Health Professionals, Sacramento, CA.
October 19, 2012
- “Reasonable Accommodations: The Interactive Process in 6 Easy Steps" at the US Department of Labor’s Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) Workforce Solutions Conference and Resource Fair, San Francisco Federal Building, San Francisco, CA.
October 11, 2012
- “Workplace Issues & The Interactive Process” at the 9th Annual Alameda County Disability Employment Awareness Conference and Training for Supervisors and Managers: Celebrating The Dynasty Of Diversity, San Leandro Marina Community Center, San Leandro, CA.
September 27, 2012
- 2012 HR Law Consultants Conference, Bar Association of San Francisco Conference Center, San Francisco, CA, featuring leading experts in the human resources and legal fields:
- The Workplace Of The Future: Forecasting Trends That Will Shape Human Resources, presented by Kevin Wheeler, President & Founder of Global Learning Resources, Inc., internationally renowned speaker on human resources topics
- Wage & Hour Violations: No Small Change For Employers, presented by Miles Locker, California's leading expert on wage & hour law, founding partner of Locker Folberg LLP, former Chief Counsel to the CA Labor Commissioner, and amicus curiae counsel in Brinker Restaurant Corp. v. Superior Court
- Coaching As A Tool For Managing Employees, presented by Maria Ramos-Chertok, attorney, organizational consultant and coach
- DFEH Game Show: "Civil Rights Challenge!" presented by Phyllis Cheng, Director of the California Department of Fair Employment & Housing (DFEH)
- Investigating Employee Disability Discrimination And Failure To Accommodate Complaints, presented by Jane Kow, Founder of HR Law Consultants, leading California disability law expert and workplace investigator
- Job Descriptions As An Effective Tool For Determining Employees' Qualifications, Exempt Status And Workplace Accommodations, presented by Roberta Etcheverry, CEO of Diversified Management Group (DMG), a renowned workplace consultant and expert on how to prepare effective job descriptions
September 21, 2012
- “At The Intersection Of The ADA And The FMLA: Managing Employee Disability Accommodations And Medical Leaves," at the Disability Management Employers Coalition (DMEC) San Jose Chapter Meeting, Santa Clara, CA.
August 1, 2012
- “Employee Background Checks: Resume Fraud, Arrest And Conviction Records Under The FCRA And The Newly Released EEOC Guidelines," Webinar Sponsored by Jungle Source, Inc.
June 14, 2012
- “Top 10 Employer Mistakes When An Employee Requests An Accommodation: Tips For Workplace Investigators," at the EEOC Annual TAPS Conference for Employers, Dolce Hayes Conference Center, San Jose, CA.
June 4, 2012
- “Best Practices For Interviewing, Handling Criminal Background Checks, And Providing Reasonable Accommodations For Employees With Disabilities," at the Department of Rehabilitation San Jose District Annual Awards and Training Meeting at the Santa Clara County Office of Education, San Jose, CA.
May 23, 2012
- Jane Kow was a special guest on “Your Legal Rights,” radio program on KALW 91.7 FM local radio (part of of the NPR digital network) hosted by Chuck Finney. Topics covered: the huge spike in workplace disability discrimination claims outpacing any other EEO category in recent years, employers' duty to provide reasonable accommodations and engage in the interactive process with employees with disabilities, employers’ right to terminate employees for use of medicinal marijuana, employees’ rights to privacy of medical and genetic information, and the recently enacted Genetic Information Non-Discrimination Act (GINA). Click here to listen to a recording of the program.
May 8, 2012
- Jane Kow was a panelist on Disability Inclusion: Corporate and Law Firm Best Practices and presented "Best Practices for Hiring, Retaining and Providing Reasonable Accommodations for Lawyers with Disabilities" at the American Bar Association Commission on Mental and Physical Disability Law's Third National Conference on The Employment of Lawyers with Disabilities, Washington, DC. "Raising Awareness and Combating Misperceptions Critical to Further Inclusion of Lawyers with Disabilities" "Law Firm Best Practices For Diversity Inclusion"